REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL FOR FIRE LIEUTENANT PROMOTIONAL EXAMS
CITY OF EUCLID CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION
The City of Euclid is soliciting proposals for the creation and administration of promotional exam for the position of Fire Lieutenant. In-person presentations of testing proposals to the Commission are encouraged and will be scheduled for July 23, 2019, starting at 9:00 A.M. in the Law Conference Room in Euclid City Hall. Please contact the Commission Secretary, Carrie Insana, at (216)289-2746 before July 17, 2019 at 3:00 P.M. to be included on the agenda. The meeting to consider proposals will be a public hearing. Written proposals may be mailed to the City of Euclid Civil Service Commission, c/o Carrie Insana, 585 East 222nd Street, Euclid, Ohio 44123 or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals will be accepted no later than July 17, 2019 at 5:00 P.M.
The City of Euclid has a population of approximately 47,636 contained within 10.3 square miles. There are 80 sworn members of the Euclid Fire Department who responded to 11,058 calls from three fire stations in 2018.
The Consultant(s) selected to create and administer the Lieutenant exam must create a custom assessment process specific to the City of Euclid based upon the requirements of the Civil Service Commission. Components of the testing process will likely include written examination and assessment center, however, the Consultant may propose other testing components for consideration. We expect no more than 25 candidates for the written portion of the examination, and no more than ten candidates for the assessment center. Specific information regarding the evaluation process will be necessary.
The Consultant shall administer the exam at a time and place determined by the Commission. The Commission requests the written examination process be completed between September 9 and September 20, 2019. The assessment center should be completed between September 30 and October 11, 2019. Please provide a timeline and dates of availability in your proposal.
- The Consultant shall include content from designated materials for all eligible candidates for the written portion of the examination:
- Brannigan’s Building Construction for the Fire Service, 5th Edition, ©2015; Authors: Glenn Corbet and Frank Brannigan; Jones & Bartlett Publishers; ISBN-13: 978-1284136135
- Strategic and Tactical Considerations on the Fireground, 4th Edition, ©2016; Author: James P. Smith; Pearson Publishing; ISBN-13: 978-0134442648
- Company Officer, 5th Edition, ©2014; Author: International Fire Service Training Association (IFSTA); Published by IFSTA; ISBN-13: 978-0879395643; IFSTA Item #36530
- 25 to Survive: Reducing Residential Injury and LODD, ©2013; Authors: Daniel D. Shaw and Douglas J. Mitchell, Jr.; PennWell Publishing; ISBN-13: 978-1593703097
- Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy Seals Lead and Win, 2nd Edition, ©2017; Authors: Jocko Willink and Leif Babin; St. Martin’s Press; ISBN-13: 978-1250183866
- The Consultant shall ensure the security and integrity of the examination process, including the provision of a proctor.
- The Consultant shall grade and analyze the results of the examination, and provide the Commission with a recommendation on scoring.
- The Consultant shall provide the Commission with a list of candidates ranked by test scores.
- The proposal shall include the cost for each component of the examination and the total cost of services provided.
- The Commission reserves the right to use multiple Consultants.
- The Consultant shall provide timely feedback to candidates regarding strengths and developmental opportunities discerned through the examination process.
- The Consultant shall conduct an on-site pre-assessment meeting with City representatives to establish a position profile and understanding of the community and department.
Questions should be directed to Carrie Insana, Civil Service Secretary, at (216)289-2746.
Written proposals are due by July 17, 2019. If not submitted online, please submit 6 copies of your proposal for review.