HOLIDAY CRIME PREVENTION
Follow these simple tips and minimize the opportunity for crime to occur to your family, your home and yourself when…
- Only carry the credit card(s) and cash you think you’ll need
- Ladies – carry these items in a pocket of strap your purse sideways across your chest
- Gentlemen – carry your wallet in your front pants pockets
- If you’re on an all day shopping spree, make trips to your trunk and place packages out of sight
The best and simplest tip when shopping is to go with a buddy! You’re less likely to become a victim if you’re with someone else and you’ll have more fun!
DECORATING YOUR HOME
- Don’t string outside lights that need to be plugged indoors by leaving a window ajar.
- If you like your tree or menorah in front of your picture window, refrain from placing gifts around it.
VISITING FAMILY AND FRIENDS
- If you take short two day trips to visit family and friends, remember to stop your daily newspaper and mail delivery.
- Call the Euclid Police Department at 731-1234 and ask for a “Vacation Watch” for your home.
- Plug your TV or stereo into a light timer so your home will sound occupied.
- Hire a neighbor you trust to shovel your driveway or drive into it to make tracks in the snow.
- If you receive visitors during the holidays, encourage them to bring in all of their gifts or place them in the trunk of their car while visiting you.
- Always lock your car doors and remove any items that may encourage entry into your vehicle, i.e. GPS, purse or wallet
POST HOLIDAY CELEBRATION
- When discarding boxes from your gifts or purchases, breakup the boxes and bind together for recycling. Bind boxes so they don’t advertise the new items in your home.
Should you have any questions or additional concerns, contact the EPD at 289-8449.